Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thank you

I caught a short clip on TV the other night, Batman Begins I think. All I remember about the scene was the following quote:

"I never said 'Thank you'."

Batman replied, "And you'll never have to."

How truly magnanimous of him. He's going to do what he does because it's the right thing to do, not because he's expecting something in return. He's doing what he can do to help because he can, and because it needs to be done, not because he gets some kick out of publicity and fame.

If I recall correctly, he's got a little bit of money himself already, so he's not in it for the money either.

When you see something that needs to be done, are you looking around to make sure that someone sees you perform your good deed so that they can pat you on the back, sing your praises to the world and hold you in high esteem? Or do you see that piece or paper on the floor and instinctively pick it up and put it in the trash? Do you hold the door for someone without a second thought? Do you let someone with a couple of items cut in line in front of your basket load at the supermarket?

I know that not every act of selflessness will be paid back in kind, but that's not the point. There are people that will take advantage of your kindness... but it's the right thing to do.

While typing this entry, I'm listening to Pandora, and Jewell's "Hands" song is playing. There's a phrase in there, "Only kindness matters in the end." That just happened to play while I was typing... Kinda eerie...

No comments: