Friday, November 7, 2008

Trophy Kids

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article the other day entitled "The Trophy Kids Go to Work." It talked about what they're terming the "Millennials", those born between 1980 and 2001, entering the workforce and how they feel entitled to a lot of things in the workplace that others may not agree with. I've heard this theme for quite a while now in business magazines and books. For those born in the boom years, when money was a lot more free flowing, it seemed like all they had to do was ask for something and they got it. Need new clothes -- here you go. Want a job that provides free meals -- plenty to choose from. Want to work from home 3 days a week -- take this company laptop with you and let us pay for your Internet connection too.

Those days are gone, for most of us at least, if we ever got to see them in the first place. But the entitlement mentality of the working class coming up behind us has not caught up with reality.

I'm all for paying your dues and earning perks, but it seems that the next generation seems to think along the lines of "pay me a lot and give me a bunch of perks and I'll show you that I deserve them." The real world says, "Show me what you're worth and I'll reward your efforts." I guess that doesn't apply to CEO bennies though :-( Have fun with that bailout money guys!

No comments: