Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Would you say something?

The building I work in has a little break room where people can go to eat their lunch. In this "lunch room" there is a table set up with snacks that one can purchase, with funds going to a company sponsored charity. All the stuff is out in the open and there is a coffee can to put your money in - the honor system. The table is managed by one of the Executive Assistants in the building and is quite well stocked. Each item's price is clearly marked.

While sitting at a nearby table today eating my lunch, I noticed a visitor glance over at the table, walk up to the can, tap it on the side with his knuckle (to make the coins rattle) and then grab a candy bar, stick it in his pocket and walk off. At first I wasn't sure I had just seen what I thought I had. Had he really just done that?

Do I say something? I had no proof. How high up the org chart was he? Certainly higher than me. What if denies it? Then what? Who was he meeting here? Had he done that before? He could certainly afford to pay for it. There was intent here. He knocked the can to make the noise in case anyone was watching (listening). Did I really see that right?

I decided not to say anything. But, as I got up to leave shortly afterward, I noticed that there was only $0.50 in change in the can, and someone had to break a larger bill earlier, so there was only a $20 bill sitting on top of it. The snack he took was labeled $0.65. Did he put in the $0.50? I don't think so, but I have no proof. I'm kind of mad at myself for not taking action. I can rationalize that it's because I don't want to risk my job security in this market. I'm not one that likes confrontation in general, either. I fuss and fume to myself when someone cuts me off on the road instead of even honking the horn most of the time (who knows what they've got in the glove box, or underneath their shirtsleeves). Still it makes me angry. This was, or was it, very blatant. I wonder if he's still in his meeting...

No comments: