Friday, April 10, 2009

Not enough

OK, I admit it. I have been known to shed a tear while watching ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition. OK, fine, even Wheel of Fortune -- but just once. Wednesday's funeral was quite another story though. I was a little surprised by how emotional I was.

I was OK until we got to see Tammy. I couldn't even say anything. I was amazed at how composed she was. I suppose she could've been cried out by the time we saw her, but it was still amazing. She commented that I was the "winner" of the little good-natured bet among those of us able to be neutrophil donors. My donation seemed to have the greatest impact on Gary's health... "...but it was not enough" was all I could think. I was too choked up to tell her that, though. I had even thought of reminding her via email on Saturday night that I was willing to donate again right away. Then we got the news and it was too late.

During the actual funeral, I was amazed at how many children were there. It must have been spring break for the other area schools (our kids must be on a different schedule). The church was packed.

It was a very nice service (Gary's three kids even got up to say a few words. Their composure also amazed me, though mine, and all of the people sitting around me, lost ours while the kids read their memories.) filled with memories of Gary's life. I learned that he had been battling leukemia for 4 years, not the 1-1/2 I was thinking for some reason. I also learned that he was a key player on the team for a tool that my company uses extensively.

It's sad to see anyone die, but to have someone die so young is even tougher. One of the ministers at the service referenced an old Neil Diamond song called "Done too soon." The song is one known only to true Diamond-devotees. In the song, Diamond sings a list of seemingly unrelated famous, or infamous names. In the final verse he reveals their connectedness this way:
And each one there
Has one thing shared
They have sweated beneath the same sun
Looked up in wonder at the same moon
And wept when it was all done
For bein' done too soon
For bein' done too soon
For bein' done


It was not enough... It was not enough...

No comments: