Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Whew!

OK, I just need to vent a little. I was working last night on a printing solution for my kid's computer (trying to get the DropBox hack to work) . I was working too late, I'm sure. SOMEHOW, in my midnight wisdom, I decided that I needed to "unshare" the Shared folder. I was thinking that I was cleaning up my previous attempt to create a home network on Windows XP, but my Home edition doesn't even support it... blah, blah, blah... Anyway, when my wife came down this morning we discovered that, go figure, we couldn't get to the Shared folders -- WHERE WE STORE ALL THE PICTURES AND MUSIC WE WANT TO SHARE ACROSS ALL USERS OF THE COMPUTER! Wonder how that happened ...


ACCESS DENIED! Even as the administrator! Uh Oh... I feebly tried a few things before I had to run off to work, but no luck. On top of that, our ISP was kaput this morning for about an hour -- which I thought, of course, was also caused by my tinkering... I felt really bad -- sorry Honey :-(

An exhaustive search this afternoon between meetings and tasks yielded absolutely nothing valuable. I had some things to try, but wasn't confident in them. I was starting to sweat. I had backed up the pictures and music fairly recently, but an automated backup is still on my to do list.

I got home this evening and went to work on trying to work my way out of a jam. Nothing was working... In the end, it was a post from 2005, about Adobe, that led me to the solution I needed. A solution that there was no way in HECK I would've come up with on my own. But it worked and guess what I'm doing right now... BACKING UP!

How long has it been since you've backed up your important stuff? Pictures? Documents? Music? Tax info? Favorites? Actually, I don't even do that anymore since it's generally so easy to find something again -- either the site you were looking for (that you had bookmarked) or something even better. I have my Chrome synch'd for the few bookmarks and bookmarklets that I use, and that's it for those.

Anyway, I'm still trying to get the DropBox script working (the kids can simply drop their homework in a folder on their desktop and it will automatically print from the main computer), but I'm still holding out a little hope...

No comments: