Friday, January 21, 2011

Letter Order Unimportant

Snopes still has this listed as undetermined, but it's interesting nonetheless.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae."

It's a good thing too. When I type messages at work on our instant messaging client I type close to 100 words a minute. Well, more accurately, close to 100 partial words a minute. Sometimes those partial partial words are the letters at the beginning of words, other times they're at the end. When I'm typing an email, I have the luxury of of AutoCorrect for things like 'teh,' 'nad', 'jsut', and a lot of others that my fingers type a little faster than I can control them.

When I'm typing emails (or instant messages to my manager) I tend to correct the misspellings (those little red lines under my letters drive me nuts), but, sorry co-workers, I generally haven't bothered to correct the chats. I think that the difference is the expectation of real-time communication when chatting. You need to get the response quickly in order to move the conversation along. With emails, you expect a delay in the response.

Whether Snopes ever proves this true or not, I think that my co-workers are evidence that the human brain can understand even my nonsensical typing :-)...

No comments: