Monday, February 25, 2008

Sometimes you need to trust them

During lunch today, my son complained of a tummy ache. Though, I thought he was just trying to get away with not eating so he could play, I let him off the hook and didn't make him finish.

During dinner, he said he was stuffed after just a few bites. This time I didn't relent and made him eat more. It was a struggle, but he often plays games to avoid finishing his meal. He's been saying he's hungry all day for several days so I didn't want to continue that pattern. We just can't fill him up right now. He's in a growth spurt. So when he said he was stuffed (while his brother and sister played) I thought that this was just another ploy so that he could go play with them instead of eating.

I was wrong.

He told me, actually my wife first, that I was wrong when he awoke at 12:30am just now and threw up all of that meal that he didn't want to eat but I made him eat all over his bed and himself.

"Take that!" his stomach was telling us. And just for emphasis, after my wife and I got him all cleaned up, changed his sheets, got him tucked back in bed and had headed back to find our own Mr. Sandman, he threw up again!

Ah well. Guess as parents we never learn that sometimes we should just trust him a little more when he says he doesn't want to eat anymore. He's not gonna starve.

Let's try this again... I hear Mr. Sandman calling my name...

No comments: