Tuesday, June 9, 2009

FREE MOVIE SCREENINGS!

A couple of months ago, the family and I visited the Detroit Zoo for Earth Day. We had a blast (as usual), but one of the most interesting things that we got while we were there was a set of passes to a free screening of Disney's Earth. The movie was cool, but used a lot of footage from The Discover Channel's Planet Earth series. Seeing it in a large theater was worth it though.

When we left the movie that night, I made a mental note to look for more free screenings. A quick Google Search later, I had located a couple sites that seemed to be what I was looking for. One of them, Film Metro, seemed to draw my attention for some reason. I setup a free Change Detection alert to watch the Detroit site for new movies as they were added to the screenings list.

A few short days later I got an alert that a new movie had been posted. Too late though. By the time I checked my email and got to the site, all of the passes were reserved. Shucks. Then came the next alert. Darn. Missed that one too. Strike two. People must sit on the refresh button on their computer just waiting for the passes.

Then, on the third email, I found that they had the new Start Trek movie available. I'm not a big Trekie and couldn't make it the night of the screening anyway, but I found a friend at work who was quick enough to snag a pass (admit two). He said it was a great movie, by the way. I asked him about the experience -- I still had not even signed up on the Film Metro site yet, I was just lurking, waiting for the right movie before I committed. He reported no issues. It was very smooth.

Back to lurking for a while... Movies came and went when my wife and I couldn't make the dates. That's one thing that makes it a little hard. The screening are mostly during the week, and there is not often a lot of heads up -- a few days mostly -- before the actual screening.

Last week, The Proposal showed up on the list. Again, until the kids are out of school (this Thursday!), it was hard to get my wife and I out, so I offered it up to my mom and sister. Once again, SOMEONE ELSE enjoyed the movie... :-( They said it was even worth paying to see again :-)

Oh well. If I can't get out to see them (yet), I thought I'd at least share the wealth...

Head on over to the Film Metro site and see if there's a screening that you'd like to see. If you live in the Detroit area, you can go directly to the Film Metro Detroit site. You'll need to check back often or setup an alert or something to catch changes though, because they do go quick...
Happy FREE movie watching!

No comments: