Sunday, August 23, 2009

These boots were made for hikin'

So that's just what we did... We hiked from Max Patch to Lemon Gap on the Appalachian Trail in NC the other day. The guide books say that's a distance of 5.8 miles, but I don't think that includes the mile or so climb to the top of Max Patch to start the trip, so let's make it an even 7 miles including the "up the hill, down the hill" games the kids played.


My mother-in-law lives at about 3750 feet up in the mountains, and Max Patch peaks another 900 feet higher than that at about 4616 feet above sea level. We ended at Lemon Gap which is back down to about 3500 feet so it was a nice downhill slope most of the time. My mother-in-law has hiked about 3/4 of the Trail so far. Now my kids can say that they've hiked 0.32% of it!

They had a great time, though I had to carry my youngest (and another one his age) at the very end. 5-1/2 year olds just can't handle all of that yet I guess. The views were really spectacular even through most of the trail was through the woods. The path was really well maintained. It was a nice trail to cut our hiking legs on. I suspect that we'll do more as the kids get a little older.

No comments: