Sunday, May 4, 2008

"This is my best day EVER!"

My youngest son, 4 years old, is filled with more wisdom than people many times his age. He often amazes my wife and I with quirky little observations and insights. When the weight of the world isn't bearing down on your shoulders it gives your brain a little time to really think I guess. Ah to be young again...

One morning, about a week ago, he awoke with the proclamation that "Today is my best day EVER!" I don't even remember why it was the best day EVER for him, but even for someone who has only lived about 1500 days, that's saying something! I'm sure that it was something that we might consider insignificant in our hectic, stressful lives -- something like it wasn't supposed to rain that afternoon so he could ride his bike, or maybe it was that I was the one who got to drive him to school because Mom had jury duty.

This one day was extra special because it topped all of the other "best days EVER" that he had had in the past. He has one of these "best days EVER" every couple of weeks for one reason or another. Ah to be young again...

But... Maybe it doesn't take being physically young to have that mentality. Maybe I should have seen that it was the "best day EVER [this week]" for me because I got to spend a few extra hours with one of my children. Maybe it was "the best day EVER [so far that week]" because he was in a good mood and enjoying life. Maybe it was "the best day EVER" because all of my family was alive and healthy and I was loved.

Maybe TODAY IS THE BEST DAY EVER! I just have to realize that! And tomorrow will be the best day EVER as well if I allow it to be. It's amazing how much wisdom is contained in that little, growing bundle of joy I call my son.

Make today your best day EVER!

No comments: