Friday, May 1, 2009

What would you say?

There has been a lot of press coverage or the swi..., er, um, influenza A H1N1 virus and how the best defence is a good offence. General hygiene is always a good thing, though -- worldwide pandemic or not.

All of that was still in my mind as I walked into the bathroom this afternoon. As I walked in, someone else was finishing up. I watched in amazement as he walked right to the door and back to work.

"Um, excuse me. Have you heard of hygiene? Have you heard of H1N1? Were you raised in a barn?!" OK, that was all in my mind. Nothing actually came out of my mouth. I just didn't know how to react? How do you react to something like that?

What do you say to someone that walks away without flushing?

What do you say to someone who doesn't wash their hands? Those same hands that they're just about to apply to the same doorknob you'll need to escape this room with.

Does it make a difference is they're someone in a public place that you'll likely never see again versus a co-worker that you'll see everyday (even if you don't know them directly)?

What about age? Does that make a difference? If it's a young child in a store? An older person in a restaurant? Someone of your own generation at work?

What about "rank" or "social status""? Does that impact how you'd react?

Does the possible pandemic matter?

I have seen a few people that enter the restroom, wash their hands, use the facilities, wash their hands and then use the paper towel to handle the doorknob on their way out. Are they OCD or just the smart ones? Not sure. But after seeing a few people on the other end of the scale use the same restroom as I do, I'm thinking I might want to join the OCD crowd. What about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those guys that uses the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door. Studies have found that there are more germs on the door handle than there are on the toilet seat. Think about that one for a while and tell me if you still open the door the old way....