Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A whole new world

Every year the school district tests the kids eye sight and hearing. This year, my eldest son didn't pass the eye exam. There'd been no issues in previous years, and he'd not been complaining of vision problems, headaches, nor anything else recently that might make us question his visual acuity. Nonetheless, with County Health Department form in hand we took him to an opthamologist for a full exam. A short time later, he was all set and had glasses on order.


I met them clan at the mall after work as they were finishing up with the Doc. I was a little surprised at his excitedness. He was really surprised how much better he could see now. For the next couple of hours he kept asking me, "Daddy, can you read __insert any word more than 5 feet away here__" as if indication that he couldn't. In most cases I could read them thankfully.

All weekend, the exam was Friday night, he kept asking my wife, "Did they call yet? Think they'll call today? What time do they open?" He really wanted those lenses.

When he finally got them the other day after school, he was almost giddy! It really made a big difference in what he was able to see. He's near-sighted, so he must have had trouble reading the blackboard, etc. at school. No more. He could read the serial number on a jet as it flew overhead if you're to believe the difference these have made.

I'm sure he'll endure the requisite teasing at school at some point, but he seemed quite at ease, if not proud, as he left for school. He said the only comment he got were that he looked good, smarter and older. (Is there hope left in our kids today? Time will tell.)

My wife and I both wear glasses (I got mine as a Junior in high school though probably should've gotten them a few years earlier, she got hers a little younger). I put mine on when I get out of bed in the morning and take them off when I climb in bed at night. my wife can go a whole day without them, but will likely end up with eye-strain. My son is supposed to wear them anytime he's not sleeping or reading.

I'm glad he's comfortable with them and that he's going to be able to see the world a lot more clearly now.

No comments: