Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ticketed!

The schools in our area had their parking lots repaved over the summer. As part of this effort, the traffic flow was modified to allow each school to have a drop off loop to keep the "heavier" traffic out of the main path where the kids are congregating. Just like the first rain, or snow of the season, people seem to forget how to drive when things like this change. In short, they're being idiots!

People are driving up over curbs, parking in spots marked for no parking, standing in no standing zones, blocking buses, etc. I even gave a few seconds thought to spending a vacation morning down there just being a jerk and confront these people. I even thought about trying to be deputized so I could issue tickets! They were driving me nuts!

I went looking for a fake traffic ticket on the Net that I could modify and leave on these people's cars... Then I came to my senses and decided that I was just being too obsessed.

But, had I continued... What should I have put on the ticket? What kind of idiotic violations should be called out?

  • Distracted Driving (includes cell phone use, makeup application, etc)

  • Illegal Parking (includes parking in a Handicapped-labeled parking space without an hang tag or plate, parking across a parking line taking up two
    spaces, etc)

  • Aggressive driving (includes speeding, changing lanes without using a blinker, etc)

  • Running a red light (regardless of whether there is crossing traffic) I actually sat and watched 7 red light cycles on my road the other day. During that time there were 10 people that ran the red. We've got cops sitting watch now and picking them off more frequently, but it's still a really bad intersection.

What else? Leave a comment with your thoughts.

No comments: