Saturday, March 28, 2009

Have you donated blood today?

A friend of ours from church is battling leukemia. A young guy, with a very devoted wife and three young kids, he's battling very hard, but he can't do it by himself. He needs and receives help from his family and friends. He needs and receives help and strength from God and his faith. He needs and receives assistance from very competent medical personnel. Recently, there was a need for something else.

A little less than a couple of weeks ago, the call went out for people who would be willing to donate neutrophils (a component of white blood cells). While battling this disease (which was discovered quite by accident), Gary's body has temporarily lost it's ability to produce the legions of cells necessary to fight off infection. He needs to get back to Ohio State University for a stem-cell transplant to end this fight, but he has to be stable enough to risk the transportation. While his body is working up the strength to re-build his own white-cell supply, he needs donations to tide him over so that he doesn't get any more sick.

I was lucky enough to be able to help, pass the screening tests and donate toward Gary's recovery. I can't cure his leukemia, but I can help him fight it. He has received my donation of cells as well as those from two other donors so far - that's 3 of 12 total. He has to have these donations every other day for a month! They're definitely helping, but they're not done yet. As long as he continues in a positive direction... We are all praying that he make it through this setback quickly and can move on to the real cure.

I learned a lot as part of this donation.

First, that you gotta do what you can - however small the task. It's not one person who saves the world, but all of us working together. A small donation or act might seem insignificant to those that donate, but added together it will save a life -- or many!

Second, that it's all a lot more real when you know the recipient. Donations in the past have been kind of blind. I go in, give a pint, and walk out, hoping that someone in need will be able to benefit. This time I was part of the process. I got to read about Gary's battle on their blog. I got to spend time with Gary and Tammy in his room and see how hard Gary was fighting and how loved he was.

Third, I learned a lot about the donation possibilities as well. I've always donated "regular" whole blood in the past. All blood is deeply needed, but being of type-O, I can help a very broad group of recipients. I've donated as often as I could, but schedules have made me miss the last couple opportunities. As a result of mentioning this during my time with the Red Cross nurses, as well as based on some of the tests that they ran for my neutrophils donation, I was presented with other options that would allow me to help even more people, while minimizing the impact of scheduling conflicts. As soon as Gary is out of danger of needing another white cell donation from me, I will be contacting the Red Cross to transition to one, or more of these other donation options. (see First observation above) Are you doing all you can?

Fourth, remember that whatever you're going through personally - FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) in this economy, sleepless nights, a long "honey-do" list that never seems to get shorter, never getting your own list checked off, not spending enough time with those you love, or anything else that brings you down... you're never too far down to extend a helping hand to pull someone else up.

Fifth, God does have a sense of humor, even in times like this. Quoting Tammy from their blog the other day:

[Gary] has been laughing in his sleep today and I ask him what is so funny- he said that God is telling him some jokes- laughter is the best medicine you know :)
Sometimes it's hard to understand the Master plan, or even our role within it, but it will all work out in the end.

Go get 'em Gary!

You can read more about Gary's fight on their blog at http://lathamgt2.blogspot.com/

You can find a Red Cross donation site via GiveLife.org.

No comments: