Monday, March 30, 2009

It's a small world, afterall...

WOW! I just got done chatting with a journalist in the UK. Didn't even know the guy. Never got his name. Not sure the name of his music magazine even. Just some random stranger who had a few moments to spare. Really interesting conversation. Those are the kind of chats that Omegle enables.

Started just a few days ago -- by an 18-year-old! -- there were over 1500 random people chatting with strangers just like me! I'm not much into social networking in general -- no "My Face" pages for me, and sure I was a little curious who this random stranger I was being connected to would turn out to be.

We talked about quite a variety of things -- from Google's Streetview (and how the UK folk's really feel about it) to the earthquake he told me had happened in San Francisco earlier today - that I had no idea about, to Twitter (how he found out about the quake), to the fact that his dad was coming over to the States in a couple of weeks, to performing Turing tests on each other -- just to be sure...

The site is free. The conversations will surely be varied. It can be a casual diversion or the start of something.

No comments: