Thursday, May 10, 2007

i

Last week Google re-branded it's Google Personalized Home Page as iGoogle. It reminded me of a couple of similar re-branding efforts in the past at my company. First it was e-this, and e-that. I think that the e was supposed to stand for electronic. Every ting was renamed to begin with e. Then there was the i-this and i-that era, including the iPod and iPhone, famously Apple. Now iGoogle joins the parade.

I've mentioned before, that I'm generally in favor of all things Google, but I really think that this is i-silly. Especially since no one is advertising what it really means. Does it mean individual? Does it mean internet? Does it mean iwantmoreattention? In no article that I've read do they actually say why they're re-branding with i, just that they say it stands for personalized/ation. So why not use pGoogle? Why waste so much time on this?

What do you think it stands for? Have you seen an article that supports that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the i stands for "I need to justify my enormous salary as head of marketing by making changes even if they aren't needed."