Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One man's junk

There's a lot to be said for spring cleaning. Most of them are swear words. But every now and then I come up with a nice one. Like "money." My family and I have been having a garage sale this week. In nearly 90 degree sun and only a light breeze, hundreds of people have stopped by in search of that one little thing that they didn't want to pay full price for at a store. Some people come for the hunt, others for the adventure, but they all come for e deal. I'm happy to oblige in return for a little green stuff... They get the adventure, we get to meet quite a variety of people, and we free up more space so that we can fill up more space -- all the while, earning a sunburn and enough money to put toward "edutainment" adventures during our upcoming vacation.

I used to think that garage sales, or yard sales, or rummage sales, or moving sales, or anything similar was a purely Midwestern kind of event. Everyone else had "estate sales." I've changed my mind on that a little, though without much proof to the contrary. I've heard about down-on-their-luck actors having sales, and even not so down-on-their-luck actors or singers, or other personalities selling a thing or two in a fit of common-dome, though the latter generally "donate the proceeds to charity." Whatever the class, or cause, or size, there will always be jun...er um, precious antique hand-me-down heirlooms that will be better suited at someone else's house.

No comments: