Thursday, July 5, 2007

Flash! Boom!

After we finished up at the Kentucky Horse Park today, we barely made it back into our hotel before the storms hit. Wave after wave of very intense storms passed over during the next several hours. It was mostly cloudy, though, so most of the flashes just illuminated the clouds in the sky as opposed to showing themselves as streaks raining down from the heavens.

After we got the kids down, I took a few moments to sit on the front porch and watch the storms move over. Watching storms, particularly those with heavy lightening content has been a relaxation activity for me for quite a while. As long as we didn't have to be driving in it, I really enjoyed them this trip. While the big show was happening high in the sky, this being the 4th and all, a smaller variety was taking shape a little closer to the ground. Between godly flashes of bright white, red, orange, purple, blue, yellow and others punctuated the sky. At times, the brightness of the colors competed with Mother Nature; the rapport of the fireworks echoed the boom of the thunder.

After a while, I retreated to my room to catch some shut-eye. As I searched for something on TV to help, another wave of flashes pulsed outside the window. Another hour of fireworks -- some man-made, others not -- kept me awake and amused before I finally drifted off to sleep.

I saw some new fireworks that I had not seen before and I loved the finale, but those kind of fireworks come along only once a year. Mother nature keeps me company several times a month. That's what friends are for.

No comments: