Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Where'd the unicorns go?

Unicorn?One of the horses that my daughter fell in love with while we were at the Kentucky Horse Park recently was a miniature white horse (no, not a pony). I made the comment after seeing the horse that it looked like they had sawed off his unicorn horn. He had an abrasion on his forehead right where the horn would've been. The mystique of the miniature horse and its loving nature and white color (I dunno, for some reason I always picture unicorns as white) just fed into this fantasy. My daughter (and even both sons) were quick to point out that "Unicorns aren't real, Daddy." But just because you've never seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist...

While relating this story at my dad's the other day, my uncle pulled from the back recesses of his mind a long-ago song about what happened to all of the unicorns. Written by famous children's author of Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein, and made popular by the Irish Rovers in the 1960's, The Unicorn Song tells of the fate of the unicorns - they were too busy playing to get on the Ark!

No comments: