Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Presumed guilty until proven innocent

I'm sure that I'm not alone in this tale. On the way to work this morning I was driving along minding my own business when, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a police car sitting ready to exit a parking lot. First things first - I slowed down. Never mind that I was already going the speed limit. Next I checked to see whether he pulled out behind me or was still looking for someone. Naturally he pulled out right behind me. I checked my speed again. This was a two lane road I was on, so when he entered the road in the other lane, I figured I was safe.

Then he pulled over into my lane.

He continued to follow me for 2-3 miles. Each turn I made, he made. Finally I pulled into the center turn lane to enter my work parking lot. I checked my rear view again. As he slid on by me, I felt a wave or relief flow over me. I pulled into the parking lot and went on my way.

I had not done anything wrong (and don't have any warrants that I know about), but still I slowed down and thought I might be pulled over. How frustrating it is that we have such fear of police, or being caught at something that we pull back from whatever we're doing for no reason. How many times have you closed your browser when your boss walked up behind you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're just paranoid!