Saturday, July 7, 2007

Not bad...

I could drive for miles and miles without paying any attention to red Saturn SL1 models on the road. Then as soon as I bought one, they were all over the place. Same thing with my next car. I consider myself much more of a follower than a leader with most things, so I know that it's not me setting the trend (the world would be a much scarier place if I was the trendsetter). I'm not sure the name of this phenomenon, but it happens to me all the time. If I'm looking to buy something that I can't seem to find anywhere, and yet, somehow finally do...the next week, it shows up in every store I enter...

Having written that, I don't remember how it ties in to my real story, but... :-)

Every parent thinks that their children are special. They're smarter than everyone else's child. They much cuter than everyone else's children. They're much more polite than everyone else's child. Oh, yeah. That was the point I was going to make. That phenomenon doesn't always happen...

During our two week vacation, we went to a lot of places where there were throngs of children -- parks, hotels, restaurants, malls... We were able to see (and interact with ) children from many states, walks of life, religions, ages, and race. These observations, melded with those I've made over the years since having our children, have just served to reinforce my belief that my wife and I have done a pretty darn good job raising our kids. Sure they have their moments (that may last a few more moments than we'd like), and sure they act like the other kids once in a while, but on the whole, I think that they're pretty good. I know that all (or most anyway)parents say that, but someone's gotta be average, and I say that our kids are above. I've had a lot of other people that my kids interact with say the same things -- how well behaved they are, how polite they are, etc, etc.

I try to remember this during their "moments," but sometimes it slips. The moments pass and are quickly replaced by uproarious laughter, giggles, etc (do you know how hard it is to discipline a child that makes you laugh milk out your nose?!). For as often as the kids seem to really dislike each other (or us) at times, they are also quick to point out how bored they are when one of them is not around. I guess that's what siblings are all about.

A final note of public thanks to my wonderful wife, who has taken on the bulk of the burden and deserves the bulk of the credit for shaping our kids into the wonderful kids that they really are. And when they read this - a special thanks to them for being those wonderful kids.

Don't forget to remember the good moments with your kids...

No comments: