Thursday, June 19, 2008

GHOTI

I have a sign on my desk at work that reads "GHOTI". I came across this little nugget of wisdom several years ago and have hung on to it since. It serves multiple purposes. First, people ask me what it means -- a conversation starter as well as a way for me to impart more of my wisdom
:-). Second, it reminds me to keep looking.

It was originally presented as a way to show how screwed up the English language is. Essentially, it's a different way to say "fish." Sounding it out, the "gh" makes the sound as in "tough," the "o" makes the sound as in "women," and the "ti" makes the sound as in "nation."

To me it's a reminder that things are not always as they seem. It reminds me to dig a little deeper, to not always take the first or easiest answer. It reminds me that there may be ulterior motives to people's behaviors (good or bad). In general, it reminds me to just keep
questioning. That's how I, we, learn. It's good to be inquisitive.

No comments: