Saturday, July 12, 2008

iGoogle tabs

As I've mentioned before, I use iGoogle for my news reader because it allows me to stem the information overload a little bit by restricting the items to just 3-5 per feed. I still wanted to be able to sort them a bit though, so I created tabs. I have my home tab that has my GMail preview and a list of visitors to this blog as well as a few other miscellaneous widgets. Then I have my Google tab that has all the unofficial RSS feeds dealing with Google and Google products. I have an official Google Blogs page as well. I have a free stuff tab, a videos tab a finance tab and a couple of miscellaneous tabs -- literally "Misc A-J" and "Misc K-Z." The problem is that the reason I had to split the Misc tabs was because there was too much on the one tab, and I had created other tabs since then... So my Misc K-Z was 3 tabs over from the Misc A-J tab. I know, I know -- big deal. Well, at the time, Google offered no way to move your tabs around. I saw one hack provided on Blogoscoped I think that involved exporting your settings as XML and then editing the XML file and then restoring from that exported backup... Too much for me to worry about, so I just got used to it.

Then...

Out of the blue, I noticed the other day that Google had snuck in a feature that allows you to change the tab order! I love finding these little surprises. Now my alphabet is contiguous! :-)

No comments: