Monday, June 18, 2007

I know you

Well, not you personally (though I might), but I know about you. As a visitor to my site (and almost every other site on the Web these days), certain details about your visit are being tracked so that I can improve the site for you, my readers.

I actually have multiple stats/counters on my site and get a slightly different view from each. That's the nature of statistics. What the collectively tell me about "you" is that...


  • You most likely have Comcast business as your ISP provider.
  • You may very well have found my site via the Blogger Nav Bar (A GREAT way to discover new blogs I might add!)
  • You may have been using Google's Personalized HomePage (now re-branded iGoogle) to monitor this blog for changes.
  • You've got something in common with people all over the world -- you've read my blog! (I've got stats to support visits from United States, Canada, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Germany, Australia, Ireland, France, and the Republic of Korea but I know that I had visits from other countries before I got the stats counters installed).
  • More than 1/2 of you go right to the home page at aworlddiscovered.blogger.com as opposed to linking in to an article directly.
  • The vast majority of you (over 85%) are using Windows XP, with Max OS X pulling in about 13% of visitors.
  • IE 6.x is the browser of choice for you, though IE 7 and Firefox also appear regularly
  • More than 4 out of 5 of you have been here before. Welcome back. That means that 1 of you is a newcomer. Welcome!
  • Most of you have DSL, though others are slipping through from work on T1s and T3s -- I won't tell
  • Most of you only spend a couple of minutes on the site each visit, but that's OK, because you stop by almost every day.

I'll be looking at these a bit more in depth shortly, looking for interesting nuggets of value. Tonight was just a surface scratch. :-p

No comments: