Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Father's Day gift

The ability to celebrate Father's Day is a great gift - to celebrate being a son, and to celebrate being a dad. Each year, in addition to that gift, my kids and wife create a t-shirt with the kids' hand prints on it. I can look back several years and see how their hand prints have grown in size and think about how each of the kids have grown both in body and mind over that span.

I'm at the point where when people joke about all that lies ahead for me and my children (dating, cars, peer-pressure, etc) it's not so funny anymore... It's starting to feel too real. While searching for books yesterday at a bookstore, my daughter sated that she couldn't find any books to buy to take on our vacation. Well, that wasn't entirely true. She could find books she wanted to read, but she said "they weren't the kind of books you like me to read." When questioned further, she replied "You know...Romance ones." Ah, the joys of an 9 year old. Jokes, eh. Maybe after I get through the next 10-40 years!

Happy Father's day all...

No comments: