Friday, June 29, 2007

Ghost Light

One of my youngest son's favorite movie is Disney's Cars. He's watched it so many times, he now knows it all and so we actually use it to help him fall asleep (he doesn't have to concentrate on what's next - he already knows, so his brain allows him to shut down). On the extras on the DVD is a movie short about a Ghost Light. Tow-Mater is afraid of and chased by the "Ghost Light" in a prank played on him by the rest of the residents of Radiator Springs.

My Mother-in-law mentioned a southern phenomenon that she apparently missed when she was up visiting us this summer -- Blue Ghost Fireflies. As she described the always-on, blue glowing flies that descend the mountains in a wavy procession, hover at the bottom in a lush carpet, then just as mysteriously ascend back up the mountain only once a year, I thought of the "mystery" of the Ghost light in Cars. I wrote it off as mountain folklore, but I guess I was wrong. Seems strange things really do happen in the mountains...

No comments: