Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nature has a sense of humor

Last month we finally had a couple of days where we had snow on the ground and it was warm enough for the kids to go outside and play. Each of the snowfalls before that, even last year, were accompanied by bitter cold and winds that made it unbearable (for us as parents, anyway) to be out playing in the snow. This time the weather was warm (high 30's). The snow was heavy and sticky -- perfect for building.

My older two went to work immediately on building their snowmen. The snow was sticking so well that it was like rolling up carpet (or sod) as they rolled their balls across the yard. It took off the entire snow blanket -- right down to the grass. When my youngest saw how easy it was he decided that he wanted a snowman too. He built with a little ball in his mittens and then started rolling. He was ecstatic! He was making a snowman!

The bigger base was first. Followed by the big white belly. I helped lift the belly up on top of the first snowball. As I did this, he started to roll out the head. While he worked on his own snowman head, his siblings were working on "decorating" theirs with sticks and other paraphernalia. As I turned to lift the now-finished head on my son's first snowman, my wife started chuckling. I thought I had some snow stuck to my backside or something. Then she pointed to the now-finished head I was about to lift. From her angle, on the other side of the ball, she was seeing something a little different than I was on the back side. As I came around to see what she saw, I realized that Mother Nature had already decorated the face on this ball -- complete with two eyes, a nose and a mouth! The picture on this post is exactly what she left for us! As my son had been rolling the ball, he had picked up a couple of leaves and sticks that Mother Nature had laid in just the right spot on the ground this past fall -- just waiting for a snowman to personify!

That Mother Nature... always planning...

No comments: