Friday, October 5, 2007

Be prepared to learn something

On the way to work in the morning, I listen to a local morning show that mixes music and "witty banter" like most morning shows. On the way home I usually listen to a local talk radio station. On the weekend, while driving with the kids, I usually put on Radio Disney for them (though I'm starting to like it too). That was my habit and I liked it.

Then on the way home the other day, I tuned to my talk radio station to find that it had switched formats to a Sports Fan radio station. They'd been broadcasting games on the weekend, and had a sports show occasionally, but I don't remember hearing anything about this ahead of time. I was surprised. And I don't like sports radio...

I occasionally would flip to NPR (National Public Radio) for a little bit when Talk Radio wasn't catching my interest, but after 15 mins or less I'd flip back to Talk. Couldn't do it this time, so when I was done listening to the NPR segment that caught my attention, I had nothing to flip back to. I started to scan... and continued to scan... and scan... and scan. I couldn't find ANYTHING that caught my attention. I fried the whole FM dial. Then I even checked the AM band. Still nothing. I even listed to Radio Disney without the kids in the car to see if that could hold my attention. Nope... So I reverted back to NPR.

I guess I had always considered NPR an old people's radio station. With nothing left to turn to (it'll be a while before I end up with HD Radio and Ford hasn't come trough on my offer to test drive their Sync product yet), I ended up staying with NPR...All week...

I still would rather listen to my Talk Radio guys (I found them the next day on their same station, but as the morning show now instead of the afternoon drive time slot they had been in, but that interferes with my normal morning radio station, so I'm still mixed up). I confess, though, that I have learned a thing or two from NPR over the week. I guess it couldn't hurt too much to expand my brain a little more.

No comments: