Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Take a Message...

I've been using Jott for a couple of months now as a quick way to send reminders to myself. Basically you sign up at the site, give it your cell number and a few contacts (phone or email) and that's it. Then, when you're driving down the road and something hits you that you want to remember to take care of (or post about), you simply dial Jott (it recognizes your cell as a login)and tell it who you want to Jott a message to and then say the message. It transcribes the message and sends it on it's way. It even includes a link to the actual recorded message in case the transcription is off a little (though it's been very accurate for me so far). Best of all it's FREE!

Lifehacker suggested a more structured way use to this service -- use it as a to do list with a couple of GMail filters.

I thought of another way to use this service. I listen to talk radio on the way home from work each night. Occasionally there is a topic or something that I want to add my two cents to, but I have never called a radio show and am not likely to start now, so I just kinda let the moment pass. I could however, set up the show's email address as a Jott contact and simply transcribe the message to them over email. I hear them reading email from listeners on the air all the time in response to the immediate topic on air, and Jott is quick with their transcriptions, so I think it would work... Maybe I'll get around to it one day...

No comments: